Friday, January 9, 2015

Best Resources to find Job Leads

Image via Google search 


The month of January is usually one of change for most us. New Year, new possibilities. This month’s focus will be on Career. Either obtaining a new job, maintaining sanity at your current job or just building up/creating where you think you want to be.

As a seasoned employee I can tell you that it's a job in itself to get a new job, maintain and still have dreams of a future. My passion has not quite yet aligned with what I do in my 8 to 5 job. Like most I am hopeful that 2015 will be that year for me. I too will be on a journey of growth as I share on this blog about how I have managed to obtain good jobs and keep up with life all at once.

When seeking a new job or your first job, you want to be organized and keep a list of places that you want to apply or have applied. Make sure to do some research on those companies you are interested in and the position you are looking to obtain Focus on a specific type of job lead and look for jobs with those titles, for example: Medical Assistant or Administrative professional. Depending on your background and what jobs you are interested in. 

Here are some of the top resources for finding good job leads:

Online

1. LinkedIn- I currently use LinkedIn. I have received so many calls from this site alone. The jobs are easy to apply to and usually if the connection is directly with the employer or it allows you to "apply now" your chances of a call back are almost always guaranteed. I love LinkedIn and I am a true advocate for it. Make sure your profile is complete with good information about your work history and list of all your skills, as well as a good professional picture. No "selfies" from your recent outings with friends.  I can assure you results will come from this site.

2. IndeedThis site has a lot of good leads, you will have to do your own company research and apply on most of the company websites. The website usually posts links to the direct job posting from the company. Sometimes they provide good contact information for the recruiter or manager who is hiring or posting the position; this is always helpful. You can then contact them directly and establish that connection. A direct connection will more give you a better chance of obtaining at least an interview. 

3. Facebook- (kind of) I rarely like to post about work or ask for work on Facebook but recently I decided to start posting jobs within one of my groups; I post different jobs and it's a good resource. I only add people that I know well and in return if they have any good job leads they share with us in this space. Also, in the past I have posted "Looking for a new job,is anyone hiring?" kind of  statuses and obtained my current position. I try not to post now that I have job about my current job but I have been known to post a status every once in a while that "I need a new job". It can be a bit tricky, I think if you are positive and optimistic about your post you will receive more responses than not. 

Word of Mouth

1. Build a Network- I decided a long time ago that being shy, is not the best characteristic. I quickly lost all habits of standing in a corner at events and not meeting new people. I decided that I would speak up and that goes for social media as well. I have added people on LinkedIn that I do not know, who I see are "legit" and would be helpful one day to my network. Of course I make sure we are like minded; either non-profit or marketing fit best for both my personal career and my blog/writing business. Most the time these connections are very responsive and the more I interact with them the more likely they are to view my profile and will notice that I am seeking new career opportunities. At some point they end up reaching out to me. In return if I see that certain people need help I try to find resources helpful to them and will message them directly.  

2. Ask people you know- I will often ask my close friends who I know work for good companies if they are hiring. Only if I know that I really want to work for that company or if I know their positions will be relevant to what I am seeking. While many companies might have positions that fit my background I might not really want to work at a certain company.   Of course this is always difficult, because you may not end up liking the position you obtain and you definitely don't want to make your friend referring you look bad. Think about it and choose wisely. 

3. Attend Events & Mixers-I have signed up for several local professional organizations that host monthly events or mixers. I try to attend them periodically and again don't be shy. Talk to people and let them know what you do, and that you are open to new opportunities. Sometimes people will automatically think of opportunities or will ask for your contact information to email or call you at a later time when they come across something relevant. I always ask for the person’s business card as well and email them soon after the event to remind them of our conversation.   Trust in yourself and your confidence will lead to making connections that lead to good opportunities. 

4. Volunteer- Ever since I can remember, I have volunteered. It not only makes me feel as if I am active within my community but because of my passions and who I am, I simply love the sense of being able to help others. It not only serves for deep personal reasons it also helps provide a large network of others who are like-minded and can also be a source of, yes, job leads. I don't go into my volunteer jobs thinking I will obtain a new job lead much less a job but I keep in touch with those people who I volunteer with and somehow other great opportunities arise.  Volunteer work is a huge commitment and should only be done if you truly have the time and heart to serve in your community without expecting compensation. You do though gain personal reward and a sense of true accomplishment. 

At the end of the day I like to have a good well rounded network where I can not only have support for future endeavors but also am able to ask questions as to how others have reached their goals. To this day I have not had a negative or ill response. I am very open and up front about my ideas and the type of job I want to obtain and I think that being honest pays off. 

These are all resources that have worked for me and I recommend them. If ever you need to contact me please feel free to reach out to me on Facebook or via email mommaofdos@gmail.com 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for these amazing resources, Connie. I think they will be very helpful for someone seeking employment. I love your blog and I know this will definitely be your year!

    ReplyDelete